Getting Started: Signing up for a QWriting account
In order to create a blog you will first need to sign up for an account at qwriting.qc.cuny.edu, which you can do by following this link. Please keep the following in mind as you fill out the registration form:
- You can enter any Username and Password that you wish, or leave the Password field blank to have one automatically generated. Once created, your Username cannot be changed. QWriting will also create a Display Name for you based on your Username, which will appear next to your posts and comments. When you log into qwriting.qc.cuny.edu for the first time, it’s recommended that you change your Password to something memorable, if it was randomly generated, and your Display Name to something more recognizable. You can do both by logging into your Dashboard, then clicking Users > Your Profile. The Dashboard is explained in more detail in the next section of the help site, for those who are not familiar with the interface.
- You’ll need to use your @qc.cuny.edu email address to sign up for an account. This is to prevent people who are not members of the QC community from creating blogs on the QWriting server. Once you have signed up for an account, you will be able to change your email address in your User Profile. You can access this by logging into your Dashboard, then clicking Users > Your Profile.
- A radio button at the bottom of the signup page will allow you to just create an account, or create both an account and a blog. Some users, such as students enrolled in a class in which everyone is posting to a single blog created by the professor, for example, may only want to create an account and not a blog. Once you have created an account, you may create as many additional blogs as you wish at any time.
- Once you’ve signed up, you’ll receive an email asking you to activate your account (check your spam folder if you don’t see the email). Click the link to activate your account.
If you choose to create both an account and blog, you will be taken to the blog creation page.
- You will be asked to enter a Domain Name. The URL for your blog will be based on the Domain Name that you choose; visitors will access it by typing in http://domainname.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu. By default, QWriting enters your Username as the Domain Name of your blog, but you are free to change this to anything you like. However, once the blog is created, your Domain Name cannot be changed, so be sure to choose a Domain Name you feel is appropriate to publicly represent your blog. The best Domain Names are also short, simple, and easy to remember.
- The Site Title will appear across the top of your home page. This can be changed at any time, and can be longer and more descriptive than your Domain Name.
- A radio button at the bottom of the page will allow you to designate the privacy settings for your site. It is entirely up to you whether you’d like your blog to appear in public listings and search results. Some professors prefer to maintain a more private discussion amongst their students, and some prefer to engage a wider internet community, so if you are a student you may want to check with your professor about which settings to use.